How do I install Pio?
Once you purchase the software you will get an email (within 24 hours, usually a bit faster than that) with your license key and a link to an installation guide: installation guide.
It's preferred to install it outside of you system directories, so
C:\PioSolver is better than
The reason for it is that folders like Desktop/Downloads/Program Files have additional privilege/access requirements and that causes problems sometimes.
What is the difference between basic/pro/edge versions?
See here. It may change in the future. Some features will be added to all version, some only to the pro version and some experimental/requiring bigger hardware ones only to edge. That link represents current state of affairs.
Can I buy one version and upgrade later?
Yes, you can. If you purchase PioSOLVER 3.0 Pro, you can upgrade to PioSOLVER 3.0 Edge for just the difference in price.
Upgrades from version 2.0 to 3.0 are also possible. Just select the version you would like to upgrade to (Pro or Edge), choose the "Upgrade License" option, and enter your old license key to receive the upgrade discount. PioSolver 2.0 Licenses can be upgraded for free for up to one year since the original purchase date. Older licenses can be upgraded for the same price as a support extension.
1.x versions are outside the window for discounted upgrades. For these versions, you will need to purchase a new license.
Is the license life-time or is it sold as a subscription?
The license is for life: you can use the software you purchased forever. One year of software updates are included in the license purchase price. After the support period expires, you can keep using the last version of PioSolver released before the expiration date. You can also purchase a support extension for 1/2 the original license price to continue receiving updates.
Support extensions provide access to updates for one year from the extension purchase date.
Will I be automaticelly charged after 1 year?
No. If your updates support expires you have go to our shop and purchase the support extension.
If your updates have already expired you will get 1 year of updates from the moment of purchasing the renewal.
Example scenario — new V3 purchase
For example, if you purchase a PioSolver 3.0 Pro license on January 16, 2024. You will receive updates until January 16, 2025. If PioSolver 3.0-2025-01-14 were released on January 14, 2025, you would have access to that version forever. If a version, PioSolver 3.0-2025-06-15, were released on June 15, 2025, your license would not be valid for that version, but you could purchase a support extension at any date, say July 21, 2025, and receive updates for one year from that date (until July 21, 2026).
Example scenario — V2 to V3 upgrade
If you had purchased a PioSolver 2.0 Pro license on March 21, 2023. You can upgrade this license for free and receive upgrades until March 21, 2024. After March 21, 2024, an upgrade is still possible, but will cost 50% of the original license price; it will include updates for one year from the upgrade purchase date. So, if you upgrade on April 1, 2024, you will receive updates until April 1, 2025.
I need a feature before I buy, can you make it?
Maybe. It depends how popular the feature is among other users, how useful we think it is and how much time it takes to implement. In our discord server, we have a feature suggestions channel which we regularly check. Your best bet is to request your feature there and check back every few weeks for updates.
Is there any manual/video tutorial/step-by-step guide?
There is a short introductory video which goes over basic functionality of the solver. There is also a Quick Start Guide and Resources. Full 50 pages manual is not going to happen - the program changes and maintaining a tutorial is a huge burden. However there is a large online community of PioSolver users who make instructional videos which cover lots of examples and uses for the software. We also have a discord server which has an active community where you can talk to other users about their experience.
How to make a bug report?
Please follow the steps:
- Unless something crashes assume it's not a bug and try to think why the results might be correct. The experience shows that majority of bug reports are user errors. Our resources are very limited so be considerate when it comes to developers' time.
- Make sure you are running the newest version of the solver and the viewer.
- If after following steps 1 and 2 you still think there is a bug please send us an email [email protected]. The most useful piece information you can include is the way to replicate the problem (so actions leading to the unexpected/buggy behavior). If that's difficult please include as many details as possible: the tree config you work on ("copy to clipboard" button), a description of actions you took before you encountered the problem as well as a description of how the actual result differs from the expected one.
- If you want to be even more helpful go to Tools->Configuration, check "enable logging" and then re-create the problem. There will be log.txt file which you can send to us. That's the best way because we can look into all the details and get to the problem quickly.
How to update PioSolver to a newer version?
How do I upgrade my older PioSolver to a newest version?
- Go to the store.piosolver.com
- Select the version you want to purchase
- Enter you old license code to see a special price